Engagement at the 1000 Islands

Built in the early 1800s and used as a barracks during the War of 1812, the boat house currently sits on the grounds of the Fairfield-Gutzeit House. It is about to see a fantastic transformation.

Plans are underway to turn the building into a War of 1812 Discovery Centre. A destination attraction for the Village of Bath as well as Loyalist Township and Eastern Ontario, it will be a continuing legacy from the War of 1812 Bicentennial.

With a planned opening for spring 2012, in advance of the signature event being hosted by Bath in July of that year, the centre will boast two floors of exhibits and interactive content. The exhibits and interactive content on these floors will help bring the history of the War of 1812 to life. A working warf and slip will also be attached to the boat house where the gunboat Thunderer will find a permanent home.

On the first floor of the discovery centre visitors will be pulled into the past through displays of artifacts as well as interactive content presented through new technologies intended to engage both casual visitors and students on class trips. A cinema space will present feature films on topics such as The Royal George and regional history.

Originally used as a barracks, the second floor of the boat house will again see action as an 1812 barracks. The top space will be set up as it was during the War of 1812, giving visitors the opportunity to see how soldiers lived during the period.

As part of an ongoing "education through outreach" program, the centre will host a number of events and play host to students and class programs through-out the calendar year.

With Bath playing a role in The Flight of the Royal George and the building having seen action during the war, this project is a natural fit for an area that embraces its heritage.

To find out more about the project or to discuss how you can become a part of this living Legacy, click on our contact page.